There isn’t a person alive who will make it through life without needing help. We need help learning, growing, making decisions, overcoming weaknesses, getting through difficult seasons, and sometimes simply figuring out what to do next. God never created us to know everything or handle everything on our own. Needing help is not unusual. It’s a normal and necessary part of life.

And yet, some of us are pathetic when it comes to asking for it! We’ll struggle, stumble, waste time, make things worse, and sometimes even watch circumstances deteriorate before we finally admit that we need help. One of the greatest reasons for that is pride. Pride doesn’t like admitting, “I don’t know.” Pride doesn’t like admitting, “I can’t fix this.” Pride worries about what other people will think if they discover we don’t have everything together. And pride can keep us struggling alone long after help was available.

That’s one reason humility is so important to God. James 4:6 (NLT) says, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” There is something powerful that happens when we finally humble ourselves before God and say, “Lord, I don’t know what to do. I can’t fix this on my own. I need Your help.” That isn’t weakness. That’s wisdom. And very often, after we ask God for help, He leads us to people who can help us—and then we have to be humble enough to receive that help.

God doesn’t look down on us because we need help. The Bible is filled with people who needed God’s help, cried out for His help, and received it. Hebrews 4:16 (NIV) says, “Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” I love those last words: “our time of need.” God already knows those times are going to come. He isn’t disappointed that we need help. He invites us to come and receive it.

There are three simple words that have the power to change a person’s life, especially when they are prayed to God, but also when they are expressed to those around them. What are those three words? “I need help.”

Those words aren’t always easy to say. We tell ourselves things will get better. We convince ourselves we can fix things on our own. We promise ourselves we’ll change tomorrow. We hide behind pride, excuses, busyness, or even humor, hoping no one notices that our life is slowly drifting in the wrong direction.

But there often comes a moment when reality becomes impossible to ignore. Some people realize their unhealthy habits are slowly destroying their health. Others recognize that the friends they’re surrounding themselves with are leading them farther away from the life they truly want. Some find themselves trapped in addictions they never imagined they’d have. Others are dealing with broken relationships, overwhelming debt, crushing loneliness, or a growing emptiness that success, possessions, and entertainment can’t seem to fill. Deep inside, they know something isn’t right. They long for peace, but they don’t have it. They long for purpose, but they can’t find it. They long for a fresh start, but they don’t know how to get one.

The hardest part isn’t always admitting, “I need help.” Sometimes the hardest part is not knowing who to ask, where to turn, or who can truly be trusted to point us in the right direction. Our world is full of voices offering answers. Every day we’re told to believe in ourselves, follow our hearts, reinvent ourselves, or simply try harder. Yet if those things alone were enough, why do so many people continue to feel lost?

God never intended for us to navigate life alone. He created us to walk with Him, to receive His wisdom, and to experience the hope that only He can give. The first step toward a changed life is not pretending we have all the answers. It’s becoming humble enough to admit that we don’t.

I’ll never forget something that happened several years ago. I was having breakfast with a group of Christian men at a local restaurant. We had been talking about the Lord, sharing what God had been teaching us, and encouraging one another. Before we left, we bowed our heads and prayed together. As we stood to leave, a man approached me rather hesitantly. “Excuse me,” he said. “I couldn’t help overhearing you talking about God and then watching all of you pray together.”

He paused for a moment, searching for the words. Then he quietly said, “My life is a mess. I’m in big trouble. I need help, but I don’t know where to begin. I was wondering if you could help me find the beginning place.”

I will never forget those words. The truth is, whether people ever say them out loud or not, countless people are silently asking that very same question every day: “I need help…but I don’t know where to begin.”

Thankfully, there is a beginning place. It begins by looking to the One who created us, knows us better than we know ourselves, and has promised to help us. And sometimes His answer to our prayer for help will include leading us to someone who has the wisdom, experience, or knowledge we need. But we have to be humble enough to ask—and humble enough to receive it.

I’ll share more on that next time.

Psalm 121:1–2 (NIV): “I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.”

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank You that You never turn away a humble heart. Forgive us for the times pride has kept us from admitting that we need help. Help us understand that needing help is a normal part of life and that You never intended for us to face everything alone. Give us the humility to say, “I need help,” first to You and then, when necessary, to those You place in our lives. Thank You that we can come confidently to Your throne of grace and find mercy and grace to help us in our time of need. In Jesus’ name, Amen.