Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Complaining or Praying? Fresh Manna by Pastor Tim Burt

Fresh Manna with Pastor Tim Burt 
Tim Logo  
A Note from Pastor Tim
Greetings and thank you for reading. I pray that Fresh Manna is a blessing to you and helps you launch your day in the Lord. If you are blessed by what you read, please share it with a friend. There is a link in this box and  at the bottom of each devotional that says:  "Forward this email to a friend." Click on it, and put in their email and it will go to them. Thanks in advance for sharing! God bless you and thanks again for reading!

Complaining or Praying?

September 30, 2026
by Timothy Burt
 

Philippians 2:14–15 NIV: “Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, ‘children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.’ Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky.” 

It was a beautiful Saturday morning. The skies were blue with scattered clouds, there was a slight breeze, and it was about eighty degrees. You could hardly ask for a more beautiful morning. But two hours later, it was close to ninety, the breeze had disappeared, and I was melting. Before long, I found myself complaining about the heat. Then I found myself repenting to God for complaining.

If summer never climbed above eighty-two degrees, Renee and I would probably be perfectly happy. But over the years, I’ve learned that weather is far more complex than my personal comfort. Those warmer days often help produce the rain my gardens need, and because I love gardening, I find myself praying for rain just as much as I enjoy the sunshine.

As I reflected on my complaining, one simple thought came to mind: complaining accomplishes absolutely nothing. It doesn’t change the weather. It doesn’t solve the problem. It doesn’t bring peace to the heart. At best, it gives our flesh a brief moment of satisfaction. At worst, it feeds a negative attitude that quietly grows stronger every time we rehearse it.

God isn’t asking us to ignore our emotions or pretend that difficult things aren’t difficult. He is shaping our character and teaching us how to respond in a way that reflects faith and trust instead of grumbling and frustration.

Over many years of walking with the Lord, I’ve discovered a much better response. Whenever I’m tempted to complain, I try to recognize that moment as an invitation to pray. If the weather is dry, I can pray for rain. If someone I love is hurting, I can pray for God’s comfort, healing, and help. If our nation seems to be drifting farther from God, I can pray for spiritual awakening, wisdom for our leaders, and the advancement of God’s Kingdom. If there is something I can personally do about a situation, then I should do it. But when something is beyond my control, complaining won’t change it. Prayer invites God to work where I cannot.

Scripture gives us a practical pattern for this kind of response. Paul wrote, “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Philippians 4:5–6 NIV. When we remember that the Lord is near, we don’t have to carry our frustrations alone. We can bring every concern to Him with honest prayer and a thankful heart.

I’ve learned something else through the years that has helped me greatly: Complaining talks about the problem. Prayer talks to God about the problem. There is a world of difference between the two. When I complain, I rehearse my frustrations until they begin to look even bigger. When I pray, I place those same concerns into the hands of the One who is infinitely wiser, infinitely stronger, and infinitely more loving than I am.

Prayer doesn’t always change my circumstances immediately, but it does change my perspective. It reminds me that God is still on His throne, still faithful, and still working even when I cannot yet see what He is doing.

Some prayers are answered quickly after a simple prayer of faith. Others require steadfast prayer over weeks, months, or even years. Prayer isn’t about persuading a reluctant God to finally help us. It is about walking with a faithful God and trusting His wisdom, His timing, and His love.

God is accomplishing purposes that reach far beyond our individual lives. He cares deeply about what concerns us, while at the same time working to draw people to Himself, transform hearts, build His Kingdom, and fulfill His purposes throughout the earth. And while He is working in the circumstances around us, He is often doing an equally important work within us—teaching us patience, perseverance, trust, and faith.

So the next time you catch yourself beginning to complain, try something different. Stop and turn that complaint into a prayer. Tell God what concerns you. Ask Him for His help. Thank Him for what He has already done. Then trust Him with what you cannot control.

In closing, complaining may give us a momentary outlet, but prayers in faith give our concerns to God which puts the forces of Heaven working in our behalf . The next time frustration rises within you, let it become a reminder to pray. God is listening, and He is faithful to meet you with His peace and His help, as you trust in Him.

Philippians 4:6 NLT “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done.” 

Prayer: Heavenly Father, forgive me for the times I complain instead of bringing my concerns to You. Help me recognize each frustration as an invitation to pray. Teach me to trust Your wisdom, Your timing, and Your love, especially when circumstances are beyond my control. Thank You for hearing me, caring for me, and working in ways I cannot always see. Replace my grumbling with gratitude, my anxiety with peace, and my frustration with faith. In Jesus’ name, amen.

 
Support This Work
© 2026 Tim Burt Ministries. All rights reserved.
Change email address
You’re receiving this email because you opted in at timburt.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Complaining or Praying? Fresh Manna by Pastor Tim Burt

Fresh Manna with Pastor Tim Burt  ...